Monday, January 2, 2012

The New Year 2012 and My Resolutions

So here we are another year upon us! I am excited but just a tad tired from last year. Why? Because I did some things that affected me negatively. Hhmmm... you may be thinking wow that is not a very positive way to start out the New Year. But the thing is I believe in reflection. Reflection of the past can lead to many great changes and improvements if we allow it. We must be willing to admit our faults, our wrong doing, and our mistakes in order to grow from the past and of course not repeat such errors in order to see change(or positive results).

In the fitness industry we talk about this all the time, right? We talk about food intake, nutrition,injury prevention, exercise and how habits are behavior and in order to see results in our fitness we must change our BEHAVIOR.

But how do we do that? It is HARD!  No one said it would be easy. And if they did they weren't telling the truth! Changing our behavior (which is a habit,btw) is hard! Why because you didn't get there over night. It became a pattern... Just like in kb training when we harp on technique and avoid bad body patterning using the kettlebell, if we keep doing the movement incorrectly it will lead to bad form and possibly injury!

Our daily lives are much the same way!!!!

No, I'm not implying that we must lead perfect lives everyday.  But I am saying that what we practice day in and day out forms our lifestyles and patterns, interactions with others, relationships, and yes right down to exercise and nutrition is all affected by the other things we do in our lives. In order to change behavior you must break the cycle....(of that behavior)

When I think about my own personal change, I must reflect on how I felt before (last year, last night, last week,etc). And realize why I felt the way I did and what was good or bad about it. I have a resolution for myself that may seem ridiculous to some, but for me after some reflection (which btw, I am still reflecting upon). I am hopeful that this one change will impact other facets of my life which will allow for healing, positive energy and peace within my soul, my very being. Sounds crazy over the top deep, doesn't it? Well, behavior change is deep! And requires soul searching on many levels...

Having said this though I do believe that we must take change in tiny steps. This one thing I plan to do is a small step. But if it works the way I think it will, it will bring freedom and peace within me that will shake my whole being in a  very positive way.... and you know what else, it will effect others positively too. The very folks that I come in contact with will be affected as well, positively, I hope.

Accountability is another big part of creating behavior change. This means telling someone you can trust to hold you accountable. Many effective trainers and coaches are utilized for this. And it works! I plan on sharing my resolution with my spouse and also others at my studio. It will help me hold myself accountable for my actions.

I don't anticipate this to be easy. But I have had enough of the bad patterning in my life and want to create a change for myself so that I can stop, be thankful, relax, find peace, and beauty around me without my life passing too quickly and taking things for granted. And you know what,, accomplishing this will probably spill over to a better diet and a better midsection (think cortisol levels). I am excited and hopeful., I want you to be too.

Here are some key points for you to ponder in regard to behavior change when it comes to fat loss, nutrition and exercise for the year 2012.

1. Realize that exercise alone doesn’t work.


2. Find a big motivator.

3. Find something to lose.

4. Choose proof over theory.

5. Do one small thing every day.

6. Make your commitments a little too easy.

7. Find someone to answer to.

8. Focus on behaviors, not outcomes.

9. Let your coach track the results.

10. Get a support network.



If you want to, drop me a line and let me know what you think! I wish you the very best this year!

No comments: