Monday, March 2, 2009

First of many?

So this is a first for me...Blogging that is... Why is this so difficult for me?? Stepping out of my comfort zone for sure... And what do I have to say anyway that is SO important?? DO I write it for me? Will anyone else read it? And if so, what will they think? Hasn't it all been said before? Could I say it differently and would it make a difference? Will it make a positive impact or a negative one? Well I guess there is only one sure way to know how it feels. And that is to just dive right in... Here goes...

A quote I never tire of: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" I just love this quote, because if you think about it, it applies to everything we do or don't do and covers just about every facet of our lives.

As it relates to training and meeting fitness goals, I ask this question: Are you getting the desired results? After many years of teaching group fitness and personal training I still marvel at the droves of people headed to the gym this time of year to hop on the treadmill, jump into class, or lift a dumbbell in front of the mirror. Do they have a goal and more importantly a plan to meet their goal/s. Or are they simply "checking the box"? They're plodding away on the treadmill thinking about what they didn't get done today...what to eat for dinner...details of the workday, financial woes, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH!

Maybe the goals ARE set, the plan IS in action. But maybe what's missing is the
FUN of it??? Training I mean... It's been said if you are not motivated you won't stick with the routine. That is true for sure. I look at what I love doing... Kettlebell training. Besides the obvious benefits of KB training, (those who train with KBs know what I'm talking about), I do it because I LIKE it. I stick with it, because I LIKE it. And of course it's working... Why is it working because I LIKE IT, I'm MOTIVATED to keep doing it, therefore I'm getting the results I'm looking for. Make training fun and you'll stick with the program. Pick up weird shaped things, run and jump over stuff, play with your kids, whatever. If you associate training as fun and with something you already enjoy doing, you will be successful and stay healthy for the long run. Have fun, spend time with your friends and family, do something good for your brain, your heart, and your body.

Why am I big into the feel good part? Because I truly believe if you're not doing what you're passionate about, you won't be satisfied with the results in the end, good or bad. Life is short, there are no guarantees. We only have one body, one heart, one soul, one mind. Use it lovingly, carefully and wisely. Your whole being will love you for it! :-)

No comments: